Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Corn Beef

I have had some request on the corn beef that I made a few weeks ago. :) Enjoy!

Corn Beef

3 carrots, cut in 3' pieces
3-4 lb corned beef brisket
2-3 medium onions
3/4-1 1/4 cups water
half a small head of cabbage,cut in wedges

1. Layer all ingredients except cabbage in slow cooker.
2. Cover. Cook on low 9-10 hours, or High 5-6
3.  Add cabbage wedges to liquid, pushing down to moisten.  Turn to High and cook an additional 2-3 hours.

Note:
To cook more cabbage than slow cooker willl hold, cook separately in skillet. Remove 1 cup broth from slow cooker during last hour of cooking. Pour over cabbage wedges in skillet.  Cover and cook slowly for 20-30 minutes.  (I did this, and it was enough cabbage, and you can use the whole cabbage then)

Variations:
1. Add 4 medium potatoes, halved, with the onions.
2.  Top individual servings with mixture of sour cream and horseradish.

Tips:
I added the extra cabbage, and the medium pototoes.  I also used a bag of baby carrots, and I used 3 medium onions, and I used all of the water.  I cooked for 8 hours and it came out perfect!!! Don't forget the Horserdish... :)



Cite:
Ranck, D. G. (2000). Fix-It and Forget-it Cookbook. Intercourse: Good Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment